danielled

Flyleaf Chronicles

A Soul For Trouble - Crista McHugh 4.5/5 starsWhen you are the only blonde-haired, blue-eyed person in town you know you are going to draw attention to yourself, not always good attention, but attention none the less. Add the ability to use magic into the mix and you know why you have the nickname Trouble. Arden works for her uncle at his inn, not by choice but by honor to the family, unfortunately Arden gets to serve the riff-raff at the inn that no one else wants to deal with. Who knew helping one old man would change her life forever? Shortly after helping an insane old man he is killed and Arden becomes the new Soulbearer of the chaos god Loku. This information is given to Arden after she woken outside the village by Devarius Tel’brien, Knight of Gravaria (Dev for short). Dev informs Arden that he is the sworn protector of the Soulbearer.While Dev is trying to get Arden to Gravaria to give her the proper magical training, they have a few run-ins with the Necromancer. Arden chooses to ignore Dev and fight back, which is not a good thing to so, since using magic is punishable by death. Instead Arden ends up saving the Third prince Kell, who wishes to save Arden. Kell tries his hardest to woo Arden into his bed, which doesn’t go exactly as he planned. Arden blows off almost every attempt Kell makes at her. During all of this Dev starts to show signs of jealousy, but he keeps shrugging off his feelings for Arden since he is her sworn protector.I had a lot of fun reading this book, the characters are likable in their own ways but at times I wanted to reach in and smack Arden around a few times. I’ve wanted to yell at Dev for being such a stubborn jerk and Kell I wanted to give a good swift kick in the rear for just being Kell. Loku if it was possible I’d want to hang out with and talk to for a while, since he reminds me of a certain spirit that lives in a skull that hangs out with a wizard from Chicago. If you are looking for a fantasy book with a little romance, I suggest giving this one a chance and adding it to your library. I’m already looking forward to the next book A Soul for Chaos to come out at the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how life fairs for Arden and Dev once they are in Gravaria.